- Keeping Your Kids Safe from Online Predators with Router Limits
a FREE Router Limits device!
There isn’t much else as up close and personal to our kids these days than apps like Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Facebook….
Are you paying attention to how much, when and where your kids are online? Like you, we’ve heard plenty of studies listing reasons to limit screen time. Many are related to learning ability, growth and physical fitness. Maybe you are like me in sharing a repeated struggle of asking your kids to ‘Turn that thing off.’ What’s more… I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve told my kids not to randomly search content and images online. No matter how innocent the search terms- something inappropriate almost invariably pops up.
Why is internet safety so important? What could happen really?
- Gang members prefer money makers like drugs, but also human trafficking because it is a re-usable commodity.
- Montana’s Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force Reports 1 in 25 youth in Montana will receive an online solicitation where the solicitor tried to initiate offline contact.
- It’s estimated 1.2 million children worldwide are victims of human trafficking. Traffickers prey on children because they are vulnerable and moldable. Victims are lured in, groomed, conditioned and brainwashed. It is a tested and true process that passed on through generations of traffickers. http://www.endslaverynow.org/blog/articles/basic-stages-of-grooming-for-sexual-exploitation Traffickers move frequently from state to state and hide in the shadows of the internet and websites like Craigslist and Backpage.
Call Comtech at 406-373-8395 and mention this article to learn how you can receive a FREE Router Limits device!
But this is Billings, Montana? Those things don’t happen here!
A statement those working to bring awareness to internet dangers and trafficking hear all too often. A few years ago my eyes were first opened to trafficking in Billings. It happens here.
In May 2017, Tumbleweed, an organization serving runaways, reported documenting over 70 victims of trafficking over 18 months in just Billings alone. http://billingsgazette.com/news/local/victims-of-human-trafficking-have-been-found-in-area-in/article_5a47acdf-9296-5a0b-b873-d18a3d3890d6.html
• Human Trafficking Task Force- Yellowstone County
• Montana Anti-Trafficking Project
What Can I Do to Protect My Kids?
- Get Involved. Know what apps your kids are using, how often and for how long. You are not your childs best buddy. YOU are their staunch and fearless protector.
- Talk openly. with your kids about internet dangers and safety! Set Rules and Guidelines. Montana’s Internet Crimes Against Children offers tips on what and what not to say here: https://www.icactaskforce.org/Pages/InternetSafetyTools.aspx
- Watch for changes in behavior. Is your child more moody, depressed or withdrawn than usual? Do they get on the internet at the same time every day? Check out Child Development Institute’s website for more things to look out for: https://childdevelopmentinfo.com/family-living/kids-media-safety/children-teens-web-internet-safety/#.Wc7Gz0yZORs
- Take Action! Beef up your network! Here’s where Router Limits can help. Installing filters and blocks on your home network allows for tracking and control of screen time and activity. At a cost of just $80-100 for a Router Limits device and $15-20/month for cloud service, you can have a professionally installed, intelligent addition to your router with many features for locking down your network and protecting your children. It’s a very affordable option for safety and so worth it. You can’t control every second of your childs life- But you will know what they see, do and hear at home! This might be the product that saves your kid’s life.
Special OFFER! Call Comtech at 406-373-8395 and mention this article to learn how you can receive a FREE Router Limits device!
Router Limits is more than a net nanny… you track what your kid is seeing online and block websites you don’t want them to see. And… you can also choose when they are allowed to see it. It works even if they are incognito mode or have cleared their history. You can set up multiple users.Once it’s installed it’s easy to use and change. What’s more- it works for any device on your network including iPhone and Android cell phones, smart TVS, Xbox, Play Station and Bluray Players- anything connected to the internet.Whether you just want to limit, video game or tv time or you are more worried about other risks- Router Limits assists you in keeping that third eyeball out on your kids screen time. Check it out here: http://www.comtechmt.com/residential-systems/home-network/
- Lastly- if you notice suspicious activity- Report It! Tips can be reported online to the Montana Internet Crimes Against Children task force (ICAC) here:
http://mticac.org/submit-a-tip/ OR call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children Cyber Tips Hotline http://www.missingkids.com/cybertipline at 800-843-5678